Yesterday I met the development chief for an IT department of one of the biggest insurance companies of Sweden. We discussed a lot of things and among them, their language choice when they decided to concentrate all future development on the .NET framework.
She told me that they have an architecture group that is responsible for taking strategical decisions and for guidelines that their developers should follow.
What surprised me was just their language choice: VB.NET instead of C#. Having access to an own group of architects they should have known better. But why surprisingly?
Before I continue I must make it clear: I'm married to C#. I have a long experience of C and C++ and a movement to C# was for me a natural step forward. To this I can add her beauty and elegance and the flagship status.
Many developers consider that everything that can be done in C# is possible to achieve even in VB.NET or any other language supported by the framework. They are right from some point of view.
In fact, any language that compiles to MSIL has access to the same framework libraries. The resulting code will perform almost equivalently. The limitations start with the development environment support. The intellisense doesn't work in VB.NET as it does in C#. Neither the Refactor does.
New features are implemented firstly in C#. Most of those news are supported only by C#. This because C# was born with the framework itself. In contrast, VB.NET and all other languages have been adapted to fit in the platform. Generics, Lambda Expressions are examples of new features that when they was implemented they were supported exclusively by C#. In order to take advantage of those funtionalities in other languages such as VB.NET, programmers must wait until Microsoft releases the following Visual Studio version that maybe will support them.
So, if you want to be on the development frontline of the .NET framework, the only choice is C#. All other languages are at least one step behind.
Cien años de una oportunidad (perdida)*
5 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment